Director of Children’s Ministries Position Description
Position Title: Director of Children’s Ministries (December 2016)
Date: Application Closing Date when the position is filled.
Reports to: Associate Pastor Pam Sheffield
Position Summary: The Director of Children’s Ministries will develop a comprehensive
program of classes and events for children from birth to 5th grade to grow in their faith and
participate in the life of the church. The Director will identify, train and encourage adults of the church to serve in Children’s Ministry. The Director shall collaborate with the Children’s Ministry Team, the Music Ministry Director, the Youth Ministries Director, and overall Oak Hill UMC ministry, as well as District and Annual Conference ministries.
1. In coordination with the Children’s Ministry team, select, order, and develop curriculum
to be used for the birth through fifth grade program that includes worship, missions,
education and fellowship.
2. Recruit, train, motivate and appreciate volunteer teachers. Develop and support leaders
that will lead programs such as Vacation Bible School or Mission Possible Kids
3. Lead Children’s Time during worship and assist the Pastors in making worship
meaningful for children in particular during celebrations such as Christmas and Easter.
4. Foster a community of fun and fellowship among the children.
5. Work with the Children’s Ministries Team to design summer programs for children that
enable them to grow spiritually, develop creativity, and experience community, such as
Vacation Bible School, MAD Camp, and CUB camp.
6. Materials and activities should be communicated to all volunteers and parents in a timely
7. Advertises, hires, and trains nursery staff and oversees the operation of the nurseries and
arranges for child care as needed.
8. Stays current with best practices in children’s programming and implements new ideas in
consultation with the Children’s Ministry Team and Pastors.
1. Collaborate with staff and Pastors to develop classes and events for families which result
in attracting more children and families into the church.
2. Communicates with the congregation and the community in regard to children’s
programs through the Cornerstone, Bulletin, e-blasts, website, and news articles in the
1. Collaborate with the Oak Hill UMC Financial Administrator and Children’s Ministry
Team to manage the children’s budget.
2. Track and report attendance at all children’s events.
3. Ensure careful planning for safety of all program participants and adhere to Safe
4. Supervise paid and volunteer staff.
5. Attend staff meetings and coordinate within the church and ministry teams to ensure
children’s participation in all aspects of the life of Oak Hill United Methodist Church.
1. A relationship with Christ expressed in daily living and attributes such as being kind,
generous, patient, and self-disciplined.
2. Superior judgement and excellent interpersonal and leadership skills. Ability to keep
3. Experience communicating, coordinating, and working with children and parents
4. The ability to recruit, train, and nurture volunteers.
5. Energy, enthusiasm, and a positive outlook.
6. Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
7. Commitment to being a team player and a listener who relates well to others.
8. Commitment to the ideals of the United Methodist Church, and the mission, vision, and
purpose statements of Oak Hill UMC.
9. High School Graduate. Lifelong learner. College graduate preferred.
To Apply: Send a letter of interest, your resume and 3 references to