Chainsaw Team Training
Chain Saw Team Training - September 16 at Boerne, First United Methodist Church
Training is scheduled for September 16 at FUMC, Boerne - Registration is now closed for this training. More trainings are being scheduled. Information will be available soon.
Chain Saw training is an advanced training for Early Response Team members. A special credential will be issued by the Conference Disaster Response Committee to participants who successfully complete the training. At its meeting late last year, the CDRC established protocols to guide the new addition to the disaster response effort of the Conference (see below).
Those interested in registering may register online. Participants will be expected to purchase steel toed shoes, approved gloves and a helmet. The Conference will purchase chaps as well as saws and other equipment. Registration is open but priority will be given to those who have current ERT credentials. Those with out-of-date credentials or who have not yet taken ERT training will be accepted on a space available basis but will not receive chain saw credentials until they receive current ERT Credentials issued by UMCOR.
Rio Texas Conference Chain Saw Protocols
Chain Saw Certification is done by the Rio Texas Conference which will issue badges. The following protocols are established relative to chain saw operation by Early Response Teams.
- Only certified chain saw operators may operate chain saws.
- A current ERT Badge is required in order to be certified as a chain saw operator.
- Chain saw operators must be at least 18 years old. (This is the minimum age for ERT members.)
- Chain saw operators must complete the conference chain saw training including the following elements:
- a. Classroom instruction in chain saw safety, maintenance, operation and cutting procedures
b. Field demonstrations of chainsaw operation and cutting procedures by qualified instructors.
c. Hands on instruction for volunteers in chainsaw operation and cutting procedures.
- Operators must use all personal protective equipment including helmet, ear protection, eye protection, steel toed shoes, protective chaps, and approved gloves when operating a chain saw.
- Only Conference owned or approved chain saws may be used.
- A Permission to Enter Property and Liability Waiver must be signed by the property owner before a chain saw crew can work on a site.
- Each chain saw operator must sign a Liability Waiver before deploying on a chain saw team.
- Each chain saw crew must have a designated safety officer who will monitor safety procedures on the work site.
- Chain saw crews must abide by all ERT protocols adopted by the Conference Disaster Response Committee.
Registration Chain Saw Training
The cost of the training is $80 per person. This covers the training materials, lunch and snacks during the training. It also pays for gloves and the helmet system discussed below.
Class will begin promptly at 8:00 A.M. and may last as late as 5:30 P.M. We are attempting to cover class room instruction, demonstration and hands on experience in one day rather than extending the session into a second day.
Trainees must have a current ERT Badge before they can participate on a chain saw crew. Training is open to individuals without current badges if space is available but they must complete basic ERT training and have a current badge before they can be deployed.
Trainees must wear steel toed hight top shoes or boots while participating in the training.
A helmet system (including ear and eye protection) will be purchased and provided to each participant at the training. This will be purchased from the registration fee and will be property of the team member,
Chain saws used during the training will be purchased by the Conference. No personal chain saws will be permitted at the training.
Individuals trainees will be required to sign a liability release (like the one signed when being deployed on an ERT). You should have personal health and accident insurance.
Contact Eugene Hileman if you have questions.
Registration is now closed for this training. More trainings are being scheduled. Information will be available soon.